Snacks on the go are rather hard to maintain in our house with 6 hungry mouths to feed, 4 of which I would rank highly in the category of “bottomless pits”!!
At Mummatopia, happy hour starts as soon as the kids arrive off the bus home from school and continues through to the serving of dinner. I need to be on guard and combat around 3 hours of little people with hungry appetites.
Cue healthy snack supplies!
Balancing hunger pangs from energetic 6-13 year olds is a juggling act indeed. But juggling healthy eating habits and striving for organic and raw options… that’s a task I’m finding almost therapeutic! Yes, you heard me right… therapeutic!
You see creating snack happy healthy eating options has not only enticed me into creating my very own delights… but has also reassured me that my children are getting the best sustenance possible… no additives, no sugar highs and absolutely no preservatives. These are huge benefits alone but an added bonus is that my actions are providing me with a restful peace that comes with knowing I am trying my best!
Everybody’s best is individual and yours certainly doesn’t need to align with mine. So if you don’t get that therapeutic aura from creating healthy snack for your children and instead find it somewhere else, that’s ok!
Me, I’m going to keep on enjoying the snack happy healthy eating kicks while they last 😉
In today’s blog I am sharing with you one of our family favourites, so much so that it requires a DOUBLE batch just to see us past 24 hours of supply!
These little suckers come with the bonus dousing of a healthy serve of Brown Flax Seeds, which yield the richest sources of a plant-based omega-3 fatty acids in the world, not to mention being a rich source of micronutrients, dietary fiber and vitamin B1! But the BEST part about adding them, is that your kids will NEVER know!!!
Mummatopia Snack Happy Bliss Balls are oh sooo yummy, gluten, sugar, egg, dairy and wheat free little balls of raw vegan bliss! Enjoy!
Mummatopia Snack Happy Bliss Balls…
Level of difficulty: Super Easy!
Makes 24 balls.
1 Cup Organic Pitted Prunes, covered and soaked in cold water 30-40 minutes (or boiling hot water for 5-10 minutes) till soft, then drain well
2 Tablespoons of Organic Coconut Oil (melted)
1/3 Cup Raw Organic Cocao
1/2 Cup Raw Organic Macadamia Nuts
1/2 Cup Organic Pecans (pieces are fine)
1/3 Cup Organic Shredded Coconut
1 Tablespoon of Brown Flax Seeds
Extra 1/4 Cup Organic Shredded Coconut for rolling
- Prepare pitted dates by covering with your choice of hot or cold (for raw method) water and allow to sit whilst preparing dry ingredients.
- Place all dry ingredients (except extra coconut) into a food processor and blend for 2 to 3 minutes, until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly and ground into a rough powdered mix.
- Add drained and softened pitted dates and coconut oil. Blend together for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
- Roll mixture into balls (approximately 10-20 cent piece size) using your hands, then roll in extra coconut to coat and place in a container or plate for serving.
- Place bliss balls in freezer for rapid set 20-40 minutes, then store in refrigerator…if they make it that far! 😉
Note: mix may seem slightly oily but will set perfectly fine without a trace.